23.8.07

things I did or forgot to share. (don't dye mommy, please)

So my son is a smart@#%. He made bad dyeing puns until Sonja came over to help me dye. (But why do we have to dye? Dyeing is so messy. Can't we dye another day? But I don't want to dye.) (Thanks, Sonja!) I tried immersion/vat dyeing & dipdyeing. I have final pix on stuff & 2 action shots of dipdyeing in progress.

So Sonja helped me mix up the dye--all mistakes are mine, she made the funniest face when I dumped in the soda ash all at once instead of adding it gradually like the instructions said.

I threw some stuff in all at once. The Chinese red shirt for Rowan is the one that I messed up the soda ash on.



Oh, look. It's clothing & it's clean & just out of the dryer. How can you tell? there's a cat on it. This is a 2 tie jacket done in midnight blue.



& 2 kilt green long sleeve Ts, one for Charlie & one for Rowan.

Then I tried dipdyeing a shirt. Which turned out pretty good except for the spotch on the boob from where I stirred & splashed. Will know better next time. I enjoyed it. I really thought it would be darker. Sonja did too according to a post on our chat board. err, rant board. err, *ap parenting* board. Dyed in kilt green.




















She dipdyed a tank top. No pix. Then when it came time to throw out the dye I couldn't do it. It was like pouring millions down the drain. So I grabbed other items waiting to be dyed & started tossing them in. A bit randomly. & this is what I got:

a minty colored 2 tie jacket for me dyed in the kilt green.

& some handkerchiefs to be used as napkins in a pink that were dyed in the leftover Chinese red.

{need to find the pix to be posted later}

Except this dress for Nat. It came out superlight & she wanted it dark. so we dipped the whole thing in a new bucket of midnight blue dye & left it dipdyeing for some hours like so.
I have to admit at one point we were paintin dye on the collar area with a paint brush prior to dipping the whole thing in the bucket. Then we got this when I finally took it out & washed it up:

{need to take a pic--to be posted later}
Finally what I forgot to share but am quite proud of:
This might look like only a bruise to you, but this represents a glorious bullseye at the RenFair the first weekend in August. I got 3 EXCELLENT shots in, & 10 more respectable ones for someone who shoots only once a year if that. There's obviously something wrong with my form, but dang, I was quite proud of those three center shots. All 3 of the shots that went center smacked my arm something awful. after that, my aim went south. I think my arm hurt or something. Can't imagine why. This is a few days later.

No comments: